Electrician Interview Questions
The Electrician interview questions given in this template will help you in hiring the most suitable candidate for this job.
Jump to section:
What is the role of an Electrician?
Electricians are responsible for installing, repairing and maintaining the electrical systems in a residential, commercial or industrial facility. It is purely a practical job, in which theoretical knowledge often plays a small part. That’s why when hiring the candidates, their past experience with the electrical systems will be the key deciding factor.
The qualifications of the candidates for this job entirely depend on the scope of the project or built asset. For instance, if you are hiring an Electrician for a small residential building then even a diploma holder with no prior experience can serve the purpose. But if you are hiring Electricians for some large-scale electrical works such as installing, repairing and maintaining electrical systems of commercial centers, shopping malls, or institutions then you should go for an experienced Electrical Engineer having at least a graduate degree in relevant field. In any case, all candidates must be certified for practicing their profession and make sure to check this aspect before calling them for the interview.
Moreover, the candidates must have the ability to work in teams, to perform under pressure, and to solve problems by taking quick decisions. They must also have the knowledge of all processes and safety regulations regarding electrical works. Moreover, they must possess a keen eye for details. To assess the candidates for the above-mentioned qualities, we have put together the following Electrician interview questions.
Operational and Situational questions
- What is the method to safely ground an electrical outlet? How would you check whether an existing outlet is properly grounded or not?
- Describe how you would troubleshoot a blackout.
- What precautions should be taken for preventing a high-voltage electrical system from breaking down?
- Suppose one of your colleagues has received an intense electric shock. What would you do?
- Describe the process for installation of an electrical system from scratch in a newly constructed building.
- Suppose your manager behaves rudely with you due to a mistake on your part. What would you do?
- What is your experience with the installation, repair, and maintenance of residential, industrial, or commercial electrical systems?
- Describe overlamping? Also, describe why it should be avoided?
- What are the common problems you face during your work and how do you resolve them?
- What is your experience of troubleshooting a PLC?
- Do you know about NEC (National Electrical Code)?
- What is the most necessary piece of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) for an Electrician?
- What do you know about multimeter and how do you operate it?
- When should you use 14/3 wires as compared to 14/2 wires?
- Have you ever given incomplete instructions about a project? How did you carry out the work?
- How do you offer good customer service to your customers?
- What was the biggest mistake you have ever made at your job and how did you correct it?
- What was the most challenging task you have ever performed in your career?